Re: [OM] Lens fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens fungus
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:59:02 -0400 (EDT)
   You should entertain the idea that the environment that fungi
found amenable in your case still exists, and that the rest of your
equipment is at risk (specially if it was in the same bag as the
Soligor).
   The kind of fungi that enjoy eating optics, mirrors & prisms
seem to like moisture and darkness. Perhaps placing a humidity
remover (air conditioning in canada doesn't seem logical!)
in the room where you store your stuff might be a good idea.
Placing the stuff in large Ziplock baggies when you come in out of the
cold (things in a zipped camera bag I imagine would retain their
temp longer and not suffer the effects of condensation as much)
is probably a good idea.
   Check out Kodak's idea of a tropical cabinet, since it is the
lowest-cost way I know of to keep the equipment mold-free. The
silica bag method is good if 1) You have an airtight case, and
2) You routinely dry out the gel to keep it viable.

                                *= Doris Fang =*