Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..

Subject: Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:18:23 -0600
Andy, here's a few thoughts on your post:

Re: T-20 vs. T-32:  I wouldn't want to use a T-32 on an OM-1/2 for fear of
breaking the hot shoe.  'Course, if it's already cracked, I guess it
doesn't matter....  Anyway, it is for this reason that I have elected to
hang onto my T-20.

That's an EXCELLENT deal on that T-32, by the way!

Re: X/FP switch on the OM-1: This changes the flash synchronization scheme
(FP for focal-plane-shutter flashbulbs (e.g. LONG duration) and X for
electronic flash).  Bottom line: unless you have a cache of flashbulbs
laying around, set the switch to X and forget about it. Max. shutter speed
on the OM-1 for proper X sync is 1/60 sec., but anything slower would also
sync up.

Re: calculator dial (flash 101):  You have it exactly.  Set the calculator
for your film speed, decide what aperture you want to use (one of two for
the T-20, one of three for the T-32) based on distance, desired
depth-of-field, etc. and set the lens to that aperture.  The flash will now
give you the proper amount of light at all flash-to-subject distances out
to the one corresponding to the aperture that you chose.

I'll leave it to others to discuss how flash guide numbers work.  I know
that the flash guide number is a relationship between film speed and flash
energy (the guide number is properly expressed at a certain film speed, not
just by itself).  I personally don't pay any attention to them; I just set
up for full-auto or TTL-auto and fire away.

regards,

Mahlon