Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..

Subject: Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:43:01 +0100
:I was planning on
:selling the T20, but I get the impression the T32 is almost too big to
:mount on the flash adaptor of the OM1. Its a heavy beast, and a lot of
:the weight is a long way from the mount. Can this be a problem ??
:Should I hang on to the T20 for use on the body ??

Yes this a well known problem with the OM-1 and OM-2: the shoes are really
too fragile for large flashes and crack easily. Other bodies have better
shoes. The T32 can be mounted, just be careful that nothing (or nobody!)
hits it. I would keep the T20 since its much lighter in your bag.

:What exactly is the function of the X/FP switch when shooting
:manually, which is all the OM1 does, and how should I set about
:shooting with a flash...

On the OM-1 and OM-2 it controls the synchronisation of both the PC outlet
and the hot shoe, on the OM-1n and OM-2n it only controls the
synchronisation of the PC outlet (the bus for external / studio flash). It
should always be on X where flash is fired when the first curtain is
completely open; electronic flashes are synchronised from 1/60 sec to 1 sec.
The FP (Focal Plane) synchronisation is intended for (now obsolete) long
burning FP lamps/bulbs and fires just before the first curtain opens.
With electronic flash and FP setting all you get is darkness. For this
reason some users have applied glue to fix the switch to X and sometimes the
FP setting is internally modified to be disabled.

:(20 or 20/32) and the aperture, I guess... What is the relationship
:between 20/32 and aperture and here do the numbers 20,32 come from
:anyway ??

These are the guide numbers (GN) in meters and correspond to the maximum
flash distance when the aperture is 1 and 100 ASA film is used. For every
two stops smaller the maximum shooting distance is halfed. So from aperture
1->1.4->2, this is two stops, and the T32 now reaches 16 meter; at F4 it
reaches 8 meter, at F8 it reaches 4 meter. You can read these maximum
shooting distances on the scale at the back of the flash. The T32 gives you
three apertures in Normal Auto, the T20 gives you two. Make sure you apply
these apertures on the lens unless you want to delibertately compensate.
When you move to a faster film the GN is doubled with every two stops. So
when you use 400 ASA and F2, the T32 reaches 32 meter. The nice thing about
flashes like the T32 and the T45 is that the GN's correspond to standard
aperture settings, which facilitates any calculations. The T20 really should
have been a T22, and the T18 should have been a T16.
Anyway, when you use Normal Auto (which is computer flash, controlled by the
built-in sensor) you are basically freed from GN calculations as long as you
watch minimum and maximum flash distance; but still you must know when to
compensate. My advice is get a book that explains some basic flash
techniques.

Hans