RE: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..

Subject: RE: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:40:10 +1100
Andy wrote:

> I then went home and popped in to have a look at the T32 I had seen.
> It was in great shape (could have been brand new, bar a few shallow
> scratches on the perspex lens). To cut a long story they ended up
> asking AU$100 for it, which I immediatly took! Then off to try it out
> on my son's birthday outing to a climbing wall !!

        Good price, most camera shops are asking that for the T20.

> So I now have a T20 & a T32. (The T20 has a calculator in feet, as I
> bought it in California, the T32 is in metres..) I was planning on
> selling the T20, but I get the impression the T32 is almost too big to
> mount on the flash adaptor of the OM1. Its a heavy beast, and a lot of
> the weight is a long way from the mount. Can this be a problem ??
> Should I hang on to the T20 for use on the body ??

        I think this is one of the weakest design points of the OM-1/2, as
the shoe is removeable, it just doesn't handle a reasonably sized flash.
Hence the saga of the cracked Shoe 4, etc.  If I were you, I'd start looking
for a Bounce Grip 2.

> My next question is a lot more basic, but I still can't get my head
> round it.
>
> What exactly is the function of the X/FP switch when shooting
> manually, which is all the OM1 does, and how should I set about
> shooting with a flash...

        X is for electronic flash, FP is for special Focal Plane flash bulbs
- you probably aren't interested in those.

> As far as I can tell in the X position the flash is timed  to flash
> when the shutter is open when shooting at 1/30s. i.e I should set the
> shutter speed to 1/30s when shooting with a flash. The aperture is
> then chosen from those available on the calculator if in auto mode (2
> choices  on the T20, 3 on the T32), or manually, based on the number
> (20 or 20/32) and the aperture, I guess... What is the relationship
> between 20/32 and aperture and here do the numbers 20,32 come from
> anyway ??

        20 or 32 is the "Guide Number" in meters (for film of ISO 100 seems
to be the standard).  GN is the product of the aperture and distance (from
camera to subject) which will give the correct flash exposure.  Now for a GN
of 20 you can use an aperture of f2 at 10m, f4 at 5m, etc.  Note: if you
double the film speed (i.e. 200) then you multiply the ISO 100 GN by 1.4
(i.e. sqrt(2)) giving a GN of 28.

        ...Wayne

        Also near Melbourne - ignore the US e-mail address !