Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:39:11 -0800
On 23 Dec 98, at 20:16, Frank Ernens wrote:

> It is a fact that an OM camera which lasts 20 years (I bought my
> OM1 secondhand 15 years ago) is not perceived as "good value" by
> the public compared with a M*n*l**a which costs less but dies
> the first time someone drops ice cream onto its top plate,
> and has an absolute upper limit on its life of 10 years because
> it has an LCD (as does an OM4Ti).

I think this is being a bit harsh - my 4T champagne is approx 10
years old now, and has had very heavy use. It shows no sign of the
LCD going yet. I agree the LCD will probably fail at some point, but
10 years may be too pessimistic.

> As well, many people are not buying a serious tool to take pictures
> with, but a toy which is to provide instant gratification via beeps
> and flashing lights. You won't find any Nikon FM2Ns (equivalent
> to an OM1n) on display in many shops either, but they still sell
> new.

The sad part is a Nikon shop would probably order an FM2N in an
instant for you, but many shops carrying Oly P&S products deny
that Oly even makes SLRs anymore... (it has happened twice now
to me)

> That said, I think Olympus could be a bit imaginitive and bring
> the OM1 or OM2N back into production. Perhaps they simply don't have
> spare capacity, what with all their other successful products.

I don't buy this - the Stylus Epic is not even assembled in Japan
anymore, and I'm sure many others are the same. If Oly wanted to
resurrect the OM-1, they could do it. Problem is, some marketing
dolt probably thought the OM2000 was the way to do it. Maybe Oly
hired some Microsoft marketing execs....

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright