Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:19:27 +1100
Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In the past I have also recommended the OM-2000...

I tried one in the shop. When I pressed the shutter there was so
much torque the camera *turned* in my hands. When I set the film
speed the advance lever snapped back and hit my thumb. (Diddums,
poor Frank.) The viewfinder was dim and the display confusing.
The meter didn't work unless I held the shutter release partway
down, and even then not always. In short, it stank.

The effect of recommending this over a cheap Ricoh, which is
essentially the same camera, is to drive up the prices of good
used lenses, which are hard enough to find anyway. If a beginner
gets the Ricoh she can at least find PK mount lenses to put on it.
(BTW, I tried the Ricoh years ago and liked it. The handling
problems seem to have been introduced in the Olympusation.)

I don't see the 2000 (it doesn't deserve the "OM") as a commitment
by Olympus to the OM system. It will be seen by many as the last
straw.