[OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000

Subject: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:57:04 -0800 (PST)
Recently I've noticed on the rec.photo.* lists queries about the
Olympus OM2000, in the form of "I'm thinking about buying the
OM2000, what do you think...".  I've also noticed many (most?) of
the replies are of the form "(For the same money,) I'd recommend
getting a used OM-1 instead".  I think some of the people who
responded are even on this list.  And this got me thinking:

Is recommending against the OM2000 the right thing to do?
Especially from the Zuikoholics (who want to see the OM* product
line continue) to someone who is just getting into the SLR realm.

Here's my concern: If the people who read the recommendations act
as suggested and not buy the OM2000 but buy a used OM-1 instead,
then Olympus will obviously not make any money.  Therefore the
OM2000 will be a failure.  Therefore Olympus will come to the
conclusion that there is no longer any demand for their OM*
products.  Therefore the sooner Olympus will get out of the SLR
business.

I understand what the people are saying, and for those of us on
the list, we know exactly what the tradeoffs are between the OM*
camera bodies and the OM2000.  But we already own OM* bodies.

On the other hand, for these newbies who do not have any camera
gear to begin with and they want to get into SLR photography, is
the OM2000 so bad of a camera that it should be avoided?  Will
giving the OM2000 a "bad name" also affect the image of the OM*
product line?  In other words, if readers get the impression that
the OM2000 is not worth getting but they still want a new camera
with the same features, they may end up with a Nikon.  In that
case, have we done Olympus (and ourselves) a dis-service?

So of all people, should we be recommending the OM2000 when a
newbie asks the question or should we recommend AGAINST the OM2000
and suggest a used OM-1 instead?  Should we act as "evangelists"
for the OM system in general and make sure that Olympus is
successful with their SLR products and continue to develop new
products for it.

I am not trying to step on any toes of anyone on this list, but
just want to see what others think about this.  Please excuse me
if you are offended by this a non-technical OM topic.
        -Dan