Re: [OM] Olympus Binoculars.... How good are they?1

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Binoculars.... How good are they?1
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:36:31 -0800
Hehehehe....I'll just bet you have your choice of astro instruments to pick
from Lee <g>.  Just wanted to check so as to not run down the wrong path too
far.  I looked thru a bunch of different makes and models this season
shopping for my wife.  Her requirements sound exactly like yours - daytime
viewing, light weight, compact and easy to tote around, and won't break the
proverbial bank.  Minolta offers a very nice zoom binoc - 8-22x27.  At low
power the image was nice and bright, but at higher power the image darkened
considerably.  I realize some darkening is normal, but it was so dramatic
and abrupt; I stopped looking at zooms.  Two Nikon models were quite good, a
10x25 and a 7x35.  The 7x35 failed the compact test, barely, but the 10x25's
were a leading candidate.  Then I tested the Pentax 8x24.  In addition to
passing all the other qualifications, this model also had the closest focus.
I'm not sure how worthwhile that is, just an observation.  The Oly models I
saw both failed the lightweight test - 22+ ounces compared to only 12 ounces
for the Pentax.  But then, they also had 42mm objectives (not 24mm) so its
an apples to oranges comparison anyways.  All the other models I saw -
Bushnell, B&L, Canon, were either too big or too expensive.  Hope this helps
a little at least.  Best of luck.

John P