Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:54:18 +0000
At 00:02 21/12/98 -0000, Keith  wrote:
>>And I guess an Pen F will produce better quality pictures, than most
>>actual APS cameras.
>
>I've wondered about this but it's difficult to compare them as I used the
>Pen F/FT almost exclusively for slides - never for colour prints and APS
>film is all colour negative apart from a recently released b&w film. It's
>interesting that sales of colour negative films in the 1960s were small and
>mainly sold to Instamatic users. 'Serious' photographers thought it wasn't
>worth using in sizes smaller than 120, and if you look at a film type
>reminder dial on a Kodak Retina or Retinette of that time, there is no
>mention of Kodacolor, only b&w and reversal films.

As I recall, the cost of processing colour neg film in the 60's was
enormous compared to slides.  With the advent of the minilab and RC paper,
the situation's now reversed.  I suspect this has as much to do with
relative sales.  For the average snapper, a print is much more convenient -
I well remember people passing round their holiday slides in one of those
dreaful battery-operated viewers.... :-)

OM content?  I've only ever used about half a dozen rolls of print film in
my OMs in the past twenty years.

Regards
Richard