Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:05:16 -0000
Gary Schloss wrote in response to my relating my initial reactions when the
OM-1 replaced the Pen FT:

>IMHO, to call the compact OM-1 a monster is, uhm... a monstrosity!
>And doing so on the OLY list surely must be considered an impeachable
>offense.

Okay, the OM-1 is a nice compact camera and easy to carry around.
Unfortunately, at some point you need to remove the exquisite body cap and
fit some sort of poking out lens that completely ruins the effect. The Pen
F/FT managed to be an s.l.r. without being intrusive. The OMs were smaller
than their contemporary rivals but for me they're still too bulky to carry
about except on deliberate photo expeditions.

I never felt inclined to replace my OM2n outfit with anything made by such
as C***** or N**** (though there was an M****** SR-T 101 that I always
liked. It's so out of fashion now that it would be cheap enough to buy in
addition!). I've long thought of the OM2n as being the pinnacle of camera
technology - it may have been "passed by" but not by anything really useful.
Every step forward seems to involve a further loss of control and more
expensive batteries to buy.

>P.S. I also love the various Pen's, XA's, and Oly 35mm R/F's.

But did you come across them before or after you got used to the size of the
OMs?

Regards
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx