Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 00:02:21 -0000
Richard Schaetzl wrote

>To name an OM "Monster" is a strong word, but it´s true compared with an
>Pen F/FT, the pentaprism and mirror box make it much bigger. The Pen
<F/FT body is realy a master piece of compactness, but even an Pen isn´t
<any longer small if an lens is attached.

Even with the standard 38mm lens attached and its lens hood reversed it was
still just small enough to wear under a jacket.

>Motion picture format (half frame) cameras are more interesting today,
>than 30 years ago, since film quality has risen considerably.

Are any half frame cameras still made today? The last I knew of was the
Yashica Samurai but it was totally automated AFIK. I think it was replaced
by the APS version.

>And I guess an Pen F will produce better quality pictures, than most
>actual APS cameras.

I've wondered about this but it's difficult to compare them as I used the
Pen F/FT almost exclusively for slides - never for colour prints and APS
film is all colour negative apart from a recently released b&w film. It's
interesting that sales of colour negative films in the 1960s were small and
mainly sold to Instamatic users. 'Serious' photographers thought it wasn't
worth using in sizes smaller than 120, and if you look at a film type
reminder dial on a Kodak Retina or Retinette of that time, there is no
mention of Kodacolor, only b&w and reversal films.

Regards
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx