Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:22:00 +0200
Hi, Gary,

>Matthias writes:
>
>> because Adox as a
>>  German company had the opportunity to choose lenses from companies out of
>>  Germany
>
>But, wasn't Adox East German?  Maybe they were shunning West German products?

I am not sure, but I thought it was West German. If they were East German,
they HAD to choose Carl Zeis Jena lenses, I think (for political reasons).

>Another possibility.  Half frame was a niche market for promoting fine grained
>high resolution films.  Thus they wanted to limit their selection to half
>frame cameras?

First it is an anecdote, then I have heard rumors, that the sharpness of
lenses for smaller formats can be greater in the area of interest than in
greater format lenses, which have to cover the greater format.

>Finally, during the Adox era, Agfa was supplying the film marketed by a US
>company as H&W Control VTE Pan.  That was the resolution champ for a long time
>running (when matched to their proprietary developer).

I dont know the black and white films of that era exactly, but for the
little story it is enough, that the Adox film was a very sharp one.

>Gary (has no personal opinion on east vs. west!!!) Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

When I (as a West German) visited the East German town Erfurt as a
"stranger", I was impressed by the amiability and helpfullness of the
people there.
Regards,
Matthias