Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 00:08:33 -0000
From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>

>Soory, I interpreted the original post as  a non Olympus body with a
>Zuiko on it.  DOUGH

I obviously should have listed the Olympus but non-OM cameras that I meant
in my original posting, but here they are now - Pen S, Pen D, Pen F, Pen FT,
35RC*, 35RD, XA*, XA2* - all Olympus cameras with Zuiko lenses but not part
of the OM system. Those with the asterisk are he ones I still own. I also
have an AZ-1 but that has an 'Olympus' lens not a Zuiko, and is the first
Olympus camera ever to let me down, by throwing its film drive sprocket into
permanent freewheel.

The half frame range made me an Olympus camera fan years before the
appearance of the OMs, which, incidentally was a considerable disappointment
to me and fellow members of the Pen F Register because it signified the end
of the manufacture of this superb little s.l.r. with its X-sync at all
speeds and its replacement by these conventional looking monsters. It wasn't
that we didn't appreciate the TTL/OFT technology of the OM2 - we just wanted
a Pen FT with that technology built in.

I was a salesman in a photographic shop in the mid-1960s and in common with
most of the UK photo trade at the time, we thought half frame wasn't
something to be taken seriously and we didn't stock any of the cameras. Then
one day a young chap came into the shop with his little box of half frame
slides and asked if he could use them to try out our range of slide
projectors. We had some wealthy customers with all manner of expensive
equipment (I had a Leica at the time) and we were used to seeing quality
results, but this projector demo ended up with the entire staff jammed into
the projector room to see these incredible slides, even though the subject
matter was pretty mundane. Within a few months all but one of us owned a Pen
F, and the one that didn't buy one borrowed one for his holidays.

Regards
Keith Berry
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx