[OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)

Subject: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:29:39 EST
Hi all:

Just a thought about all the digital listings recently.  I am in the midst of
setting up a basement chemical darkroom and was struck by the thought I might
be investing in a dinosaur.  It seems similar to the audiophile's dilemma of
going with CD's (which are getting the thrust of consumer-driven product R&D
improvements), or spending big bucks on the fine turntable and equipment to
play vinyl, which is not as readily available.  The difference in sound (and
the visual quality of digital vs. chemical) is subtle or non-existent to some
and a world apart for others.  As time goes on, certainly the differences will
diminish to the point of making it a personal preference as to which course to
follow.  Or will it?

The experience of being in the dimmed atmosphere of a darkroom watching images
emerge like magic in the developer tray is a womb-like comfort unlikely to be
duplicated by any computer session.  Or is it??

Will a fine chemical print always be "better" than a digitized wonder?  Will
our affection for the craftsmanship of a print made with the alchemy and light
manipulation of a darkroom fade as the skill and time to rearrange pixels
artfully becomes a major investment in addition to the computer power and
programming necessary?

I have invested a fair amount of money in a good sound system that is geared
to virtually all CD input.  Being a musican, I can tell the difference between
vinyl and CD, but just can't justify the inconvenience, cost, and limited
availability of vinyl.

Photographically, I want to gain the skills of handling light, paper and
chemicals for the personal satisfaction it brings in the true sense of the
word "amateur".  Will this evolve into the more technical, clean-hands
approach of computer enhanced images?  The time taken to learn Photoshop or
its equivalent and striving for the unattainable ideal of perfection is
certainly as great a factor as learning traditional image production.

Gee, I need a new printer anyway--will this lead me down the slippery slope
toward pixel primping......Oi!  What to do?  I'm not getting any younger.

Sorry for the ramble

-Tim Clark