Re[2]: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:25:35 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:02:16 -0800, "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> So what to do?  For myself, I continue to explore the emulsion darkroom, but
> I'm getting more into the fringes using contrast masks with Ciba materials.
> I'm also studying the old processes - liquid emulsions and dye transfer,
> both of which are really B&W processes.  I feel there is much more art and
> craft in these "old ways", but that is the very thing that brings
> satisfaction to me - the art and craft.  The digital stuff is fun for the
> quickies, or the occasional web page posting.

Oddly enough, in doing a small bit of research on dye transfer last year,
I found that many of the folks still doing it use digital processing for
the color separation phase. Which does make sense, assuming you have a
high-enough resolution output to film. Of course, they're not bound by
consumer prices -- you can buy more consumer inkjets than most folks can
carry for the price of a good dye transfer print...

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One