Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:32:17 -0000
Tim Clark wrote about being torn between old and new technologies.

I can identify with all of that. Decisiveness is the province of the young
for they haven't yet been afflicted by nostalgia. As we grow older we
realise that things aren't that clear cut and that technical progress
usually incurs as many losses as gains. My audio gear, definitely not
start-of-the-art,  includes both a CD player as well as a record player, and
I can't bring myself to sell my Revox reel-to-reel recorder even though
sound recording with my Nicam digital stereo video recorder is both
technically better and a lot less fiddly.

My photography fell into the doldrums during the last few years until last
year when I bought a Ricoh RDC 2E digital camera, which revitalised my
interest in imagery generally with a scanner and manipulation software -
until the dreaded nostalgia set in, and this year, probably because of a
general dissatisfaction with the automation of an APS P&S zoom camera, I
bought a Retina IIIc and a Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa, both from the early
1960s. The more interest I take in modern equipment, the more I notice the
lost features, and I'm bounced back to the past again!

Regards
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx

I used to believe I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.