Re: [OM] Re: T20 flash and red-eye

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: T20 flash and red-eye
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 07:38:39 -0800
On 18 Dec 98, at 11:32, Wiese wrote:

> How bad is the red-eye with the T20? - in what conditions?  I haven't had a
> chance to test it on people in low light, and it'll be dim where I'll be on
> Friday, so I guess it'll have to be the Viv 283 after all - big and heavy
> (and more powerful than I need this time round) but the head is high enough
> not to give red-eye except at the high end of it's range when on camera.

I think your last comment about the high end (maximum flash output) also
applies to the T20. I now use it exclusively for candid close range shots with
50mm or shorter lens and 400 or faster film. If the indicated shutter speed at
shooting aperture on the camera is much less than 1/8 second, you are
likely going to see some redeye, in my experience. Also, with an 85mm+
lens, the T20 is *very* likely to give redeye, regardless of lighting
conditions.

In cases where I need the working distance, a longer lens, darker conditions,
or slower film, I always use my QA310 on bounce grip, even though it means
losing TTL auto. But even the bounce grip can produce redeye with a long
lens - 135mm in my case has done it on occasion.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)