RE: [OM] Re: T20 flash and red-eye

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: T20 flash and red-eye
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:58:14 +1100
Stuff deleted.

Then...

> Is the white eye you are talking about a white spot in the eye?  Then it
> is
> acceptable and unavoidable.  These white spots are supposed to be there
> whenever
> you have a picture of a person who is facing the light and called catch
> lights.
> Some people don't want to have more than one in one eye.  If you look at
> some
> painted portraits, you notice painters have put in those white sparkles in
> the
> eyes.

        I have seen exactly the same effect (kid's school presentation night
about 2 weeks ago), it doesn't look at all like a "catchlight", but the same
sort of effect as "red eye" only white.  I was using my Vivitar 75-205 at
the 205 end, probably 10m from the subjects, flash head about 120mm above
the lens.  The effect looks almost like some sort of fluoresence from the
white of the eye.  Some of the shots (where the subject was looking directly
towards the camera) showed classic "red eye".

        ...Wayne