Re: [OM] mouths and money

Subject: Re: [OM] mouths and money
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:18:37 +0200
John Austin wrote:

> You bring up an interesting point here. By the above I presume you are
> saying that wonderbricks are more heavy than OMs. Comparing body to body,
> this might be true.

Just if you compare it with cameras like an F4/5 EOS-1, the best
selling, all plasic blob cameras are of the same weight (but including
winder!).

> But, I think there is one important point to consider.
> The wonderbricks have built in motors. When you add the weight of a winder
> or especially a motor drive to an OM, it is just as heavy and possibly more
> heavy than a wonder brick.

With motor, an OM weight less, than the "real AF stuff" cameras like F5
EOS-1.

> I wonder how many people on the list that own
> winders or motor drives use their cameras without them. It seems I always
> have a motor or winder hooked up to my OM. So in the real world for me, the
> OMs do not have a weight advantage.

One of the advantages of the OM´s is, that someone can leave the motor
at home.

> As far as size, adding a winder or motor to an OM also wipes out most of the
> size advantage over wonderbricks. The OM with motor or winder becomes about
> as big as a wonderbrick.

Can not agree, I once owned an EOS-1 (yes, I was illoyal, I regret it
;-) ), this camera was bigger and weight the same as my OM-4 with motor.
Of course without the motor (booster) at pathetic 2.5 fps. This camera
filled out my camera bag, where my OM-4 always looks lost.

> As far as the price goes, Olympus gear is just as
> expensive as wonderbrick gear, both used and new. In some cases the Oly gear
> is more expensive.

For the same quality, you should expect to pay the same price, or did
you think AF makes them less valuable, looking at Contax, Leica prices I
don´t think this true. Speaking of quality, I still think, that all
metal lenses and bodys are more valuable, than  painted plastic lenses
and cameras.

I don´t think, that the used prices of OM gear is higher, than the
comparable AF stuff of N*kon and C*non, just the oposite (if you can get
them, they are more scarce than OM). If you are speaking of AF zooms,
there are plenty in the used market. People bought them new with the
camera and sold them, after they discovered, this zooms don´t bring it.

Regards

Richard