Re: [OM] mouths and money

Subject: Re: [OM] mouths and money
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:01:44 -0400
> If you want... [snip]

I wonder if carpenters had similar debates when the
Skil saw was introduced?

> But please don't tell me that the OM system is not
> going to last just because there's no autofocus.

I wouldn't think of it :-)

I think the overall lack of development in the OM line
is at the root of the concern that the OM system will
eventually wither away.  I don't think anyone on this
list really believes that autofocus, or lack thereof,
by itself, will ultimately lead to the demise of
the OM system, BUT (and it's a big one), I believe it's
fair to say that the lack of autofocus is a very visible
symptom of this lack of continued development.

Personally, I'd also point to lack of development in the
lens line (I'd just _love_ to see updated versions of some
of the compact lenses) as another symptom, and another
reason to be concerned about the future of the OM system.
Even Leica upgrades its lenses every now and again...
To borrow an old line, I'm looking for a little commitment.

There's no question that the OM system represents a
unique, and in some ways, brilliant point of view as
to what a 35mm SLR system should be.  Unfortunately,
Olympus seems to have placed the OM system on a remote
island, so to speak, and islands are evolutionary dead
ends.

jim