Re: [OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:44:19 -0700
Sean, welcome to Zuikoholism.  And an astroshooter to boot!  A glutton for
punishment <g>

As for your questions, I'll offer my humble opinions.  I find the T-32 flash
more useful than the F280.  Stated another way, the F280 in Super FP mode at
high shutter speeds is almost useless because the effective shooting
distance is so short.

As for astro lenses, the 50mm f/1.8 is a better bet than the f/1.4.  I plan
on testing the f/2 macro this new moon run.  The 90mm f/2 macro is also very
nice for wide-field shots, as is the oft under-rated 135mm  lens.   I have
heard the 180mm f/2 is magnificent, but for those kinds of bucks I could get
a Takahashi.  I use a 300mm Tokina for partial constellation views - it
needs to be stopped down to f/4 or the vignetting and distortion in the
corners is too noticable.  Even then, its not as good as the others.  I'd
like to try the 300mm Zuiko someday.

I have noticed that a lens can be outstanding at "terrestrial" photography
and very lacking at astro work, and vice-versa.  My Celestron Ultima-11 is a
fine scope for images, not the best, but holds its own, but produces
downright poor terrestrial photos.  The contrast (or lack thereof) is just
awful and the depth of field is zilch.  For astro photos, while focus is
critical, DoF is meaningless since everything is at infinity.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.