[OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...

Subject: [OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:44:36 +0200
Hi Sean

You wanted opinions, here are a few:

>Flash
>=====
>I've been given the option to purchase a T32 flash at a reasonable price
>but should I get the F280 instead?? F280 owners, is the full synchro
>really useful?? How well does it work and how often do you use the full
>synchro?? The price difference for a 2nd hand T32 and new F280 (no one
>seems to want to sell these 2nd hand!!) is about 2:1 (i.e. the T32 is
>1/2 the price of the F280) and I've gotta justify that.

Well, the full synchro facility is so-so IMO (and quite a lot of others on
this list). And if you want to use normal auto-flash (on your OM-1) only the
T32 will do that. The F280 only works in full power or TTL.

>Lenses
>======
>I've been looking at 3-4 main categories - 28mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 100mm
>F2.8, 300mm F4. And I've also adopted the mentality of "Nothing but
>Zuiko". Is this a fair guide?? How do the Tamrons, Tokina's, etc.
>compair to Zuiko?? Needless to say, going for 3rd party opens up my
>range and variety of combinations - but I sharp photos (in this case for
>Astronomy - so pinpoint sharp stars are nice).

I've had a few 3rd party lenses which I've all swapped for Zuikos. I don't
think I will ever buy another 3rd party lens, in all my comparisions they
have had absolutely no chance against the Zuikos. These lenses are one of
the beautys of this camera system, in terms of overall sharpness, colour
rendition, bokeh, I just wanna say mmm...

But then there are others on this list who would disagree with me and who
are very succesful with their Tokinas, Vivitar's etc.
Much of this discussion depends on what you want, if you can't live without
a 80-200/2.8 or 100-300/4 you don't have much choice. As far as the lenses
mentioned, IMO there's no need for any compromise.

I think others here may have much to say about astronomy and Zuikos.

Happy shooting
Ulf Westerberg