Re: [OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti and OM-1 accessories opinions wanted...
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 06:17:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/98 5:59:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sean@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

Hi Sean, congratulations on some very wise purchases!

As far as the flash goes, I can't say much about the F280. I'm sure you'll get
plenty of other opinions here though! Personally, I love the T32 - more
powerful, mounts in the bounce grip (I don't *think* the F280 does - and if it
does I don't think you'll have full synchro capability). I will admit that I
long to synch at faster than 1/60, though!

Your lens choices look good, but I think you will find a 50/1.8 better for
astrophotography (and they're cheap and abundant on the used market). As much
as I love my Zuikos, there still are excellent lenses made by other
manufacturers. I've never used any for astrophotography, but others here may
be able to help.

Two more recommendations - if you're doing astrophotography definitely look
into the brighter screens - either the Beatties or the Oly 2- series screens.
The - series will only fir in the OM-1 with a little judicious file work on
the tab, but the Beatties are somewhat more expensive. Also, I find the
Varimagni finder invaluable - the magnification helps tremendously in
focusing, the right angle is sometimes handy (sometimes not!), and it gives
variable diopter adjustment on the OM-1.

Good luck, and welcome to Zuikoholizm!!

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI

<< Opinions needed here. I've just purchased an OM-1 body and will be
 picking up an OM-4Ti body next week. So I'm slowly collecting
 accessories.

 Flash
 =====
 I've been given the option to purchase a T32 flash at a reasonable price
 but should I get the F280 instead?? F280 owners, is the full synchro
 really useful?? How well does it work and how often do you use the full
 synchro?? The price difference for a 2nd hand T32 and new F280 (no one
 seems to want to sell these 2nd hand!!) is about 2:1 (i.e. the T32 is
 1/2 the price of the F280) and I've gotta justify that.

 Lenses
 ======
 I've been looking at 3-4 main categories - 28mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 100mm
 F2.8, 300mm F4. And I've also adopted the mentality of "Nothing but
 Zuiko". Is this a fair guide?? How do the Tamrons, Tokina's, etc.
 compair to Zuiko?? Needless to say, going for 3rd party opens up my
 range and variety of combinations - but I sharp photos (in this case for
 Astronomy - so pinpoint sharp stars are nice).

 Sean
 P.S. Anyone wants to buy a Canon F-1 with lenses :-)?? >>