Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:55:59 +1000
Hi all

all this ccd stuff is way over my head, but I do know you are justified in
saying "never say never". It will *always* come back and bite you
eventually. There is a famous quote by the guy who was CEO or MD of IBM
back in the late fifties or early sixties, where he forecast that the
worldwide market for computers would be "five or six". How embarrassing....

I don't know whether this info is correct or not, but I was watching a
documentary on tv last weekend, and they stated that when the original
Apollo missions went to the moon, they had a computer with just 64k of
memory. (It probably cost a gazillion dollars too!!!). Most of us wouldn't
even bother to even consider buying a personal organiser now if it had less
than 128k or 256k of memory, let alone trust it to fly us to the moon!

I still believe (hope?) that Olys prominence in the sphere of digital
imaging (it seems they are one of the leading companies) will encourage
them to bring out a new back for the existing OM range that will give us
the resolution, storage speed etc etc that we all know is needed to match
the combo of "real" film and a motor drive (as per recent posts).

The more companies competing in the digital race the better, because it is
consumer demand, and competition for market share that will lead to more
$$$$ spent on research. And one day, (maybe sooner than we think) with
improved compression algorithms, storage technology, electronics and $2 36k
x 24k ccd 's (or whatever technology replaces them with!), someone will say
"Hell, all these old OM series have interchangeable backs, why not whack
one of our xxxx arrays into the space where the film pressure plate sits -
we might be able to sell one or two of them!"

I'll be first in line!

I remember when the first computer hard drives came out for mainframes,
they were huge-  a 60cm diameter platter, with a capacity of 1 MB per side
for about $10,000. Now, you can buy an 8Gb drive that is the size of a
matchbox for $500 (I have one in my laptop). That's 8000 times the
capacity, at 1/100 the size, for 1/20 of the cost. Translate those figures
to digital imaging.

I guess the point is that as long as there is a demand to drive it, the
scientists, engineers, physicists, electronics and computer gurus will keep
slaving away making things smaller, lighter and faster. Eventually, I'm
pretty sure we will reach a stage where *something* that is digital based,
will be able to be placed inside the back of a "traditional" film camera
and replace the use of film, with little or no loss of resolution,
convenience, speed etc. It might even give us more resolution, more "shots
per roll", faster motor drives (although resetting the shutter would become
a limiting factor). I think it is not "if" but "when". And before someone
(who knows more about these things than me) argues that ccds do this, or
can't do that etc, just think outside the square (film frame?) for a minute
as I am sure that somewhere someone is working on a technology that will
make even ccds look clunky and obsolete....

There was a thread a couple of days ago about the convergence and
divergence of amateur and professional photographers and their eqt, and it
made a lot of sense (unfortunately).

 I don't have too many concerns that my OM-4Ti 's and OM-1n will still be
chugging along in another 10 years giving me great pleasure (and some nice
pics too), but what if the market for 35mm film dries up because the
consumer demand has gone to digital technology, and pros are using film but
only medium and large format? What if we can't buy 35mm film for our
belowed OM's?

Most of the plastic cameras sold these days just don't seem to be built to
last, or even to be repaired. They are almost meant to be thrown out when
they break as they are then obsolete consumer items, and fixing them would
cost more than replacing them. I wonder how many of the cameras sold to the
consumer market in 1995 will still be around and servicable 10 years later?
Compare that with a (now) 20 year old OM-1 or OM-2 that are just as
desirable now as when they were released, and just as useable. If they do
disappear from circulation, to be replaced by "next years model" digital
consumer cameras, the installed base of 35mm film users will decline, along
with the market demand.

anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

peter