Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 07:30:54 -0400
Frank van Lindert wrote:

>I agree with you, Ken. I would be happy with a digital insert for the
>same reasons. But I am afraid it will take some time until the digital
>insert by Imagek will be on the market - for OM bodies that is.
>I am pretty sure that, unlike the standardized film cartridges which
>fit into any 35mm camera body, digital inserts will have to be
>designed and made for every body separately. I cannnot see how a
>digital insert made to fit in my IS 3 would also fit into my OM-4T...
>In their on line questionnaire Imagek ask all potential users very
>specifically which camera system they are using - I take it that they
>decide from the answers which camera will be the first to build the
>digital insert for. And I am afraid it is not very realistic to think
>that Olympus OM will be high on the target list here...
>I also would have thought that OEM digital backs for different cameras
>(like the NPC Polaroid ones) would be easier to make than digital
>inserts - but I might be wrong here, of course.
>Maybe I will have to buy a real digital camera aftere all...

>From all information I have gathered from their web site, and what has
been printed in various photo magazines, Imagek's goal is to create one
generic insert that will fit in as many 35 mm cameras as possible.  Now
if and  when they can meet these goals, that's another matter of
course. One magazine reported, based on a demo pre-release, that some
modern all-automatic bodies that rely on correct film transport
couldn't be used. It should work seemlessly with bodies that have very
little electronics, like those from, maybe, O...... ?

"Real photographers do it with chemical inserts"

Hans