Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:51:20 -0500 (CDT)
The Kodak camera has removable storage. So when you fill up a card, you
stick a new one in. The burst mode is a big plus for journalists,
since that was a major weakness of digital from their point of view.

The reason digital is taking over press photography is that the images
can be immediately uploaded to the central site, even in remote sites
(using cellular modems.) The 5 figure prices are nothing, if it saves
several hours in getting the photo to the editorial offices. Quality
just has to be good enough, and having a picture hours earlier is much
more important than having one that looks great. (I think we will see
a big decline in the quality of coffee-table books of photos by
journalists!)

Sequences:

digital photjournalist: Shoot 12 pics, replace card.
film photjournalist: Shoot 36 pics, replace film.

dp: repeat
fp: repeat

dp: upload images to notebook harddrive, upload images from notebook
  to central site
fp: find minilab or prolab, or give film to courier

dp: all finished
fp: user film scanner and laptop to digitize film and transmit to central site

much later- fp: courier arrives at central site with film