Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:44:45 -0700
Paul Farrar wrote:

> The Kodak camera has removable storage. So when you fill up a card, you
> stick a new one in. The burst mode is a big plus for journalists,
> since that was a major weakness of digital from their point of view.
>
> The reason digital is taking over press photography is that the images
> can be immediately uploaded to the central site, even in remote sites
> (using cellular modems.) The 5 figure prices are nothing, if it saves
> several hours in getting the photo to the editorial offices. Quality
> just has to be good enough, and having a picture hours earlier is much
> more important than having one that looks great. (I think we will see
> a big decline in the quality of coffee-table books of photos by
> journalists!)
>
> Sequences:
>
> digital photjournalist: Shoot 12 pics, replace card.
> film photjournalist: Shoot 36 pics, replace film.
>
> dp: repeat
> fp: repeat
>
> dp: upload images to notebook harddrive, upload images from notebook
>   to central site
> fp: find minilab or prolab, or give film to courier
>
> dp: all finished
> fp: user film scanner and laptop to digitize film and transmit to central site
>
> much later- fp: courier arrives at central site with film

Paul;

Thanks for the clarification.  Although I didn't see a mention of a
removeable card on the Kodak website.  In fact, it specifically says
after 12 pix to download to the PC card, which I take to mean the card
in the Personal Computer.

Certainly I do see the usefulness of this setup for a photojournalist or
anyone either making big bucks from photography or where they have a
benefactor (employer) to purchase the equipment for them.  Being able to
send the photo anywhere in a matter of minutes or even seconds is a
profound improvement for sure.

I was not Kodak bashing either.  As I said, this thing is the best there
is right now. I was merely trying to have a little fun imagining how
useful it would be for someone like me. The answer of course is 'not
very'.
--

george  :>)