Re: [OM] Techno Bable and the Future of Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Techno Bable and the Future of Photography
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:38:35 EDT
Hi KDun:

> In June, Konica conducted a survey to find out the photography habits
>  of Japanese female high schoolers.

>  Most also carried a camera either at all times or sometimes. By far,
>  the most popular type of camera was single-use cameras (color, B/W, or
>  sepia film). Only 16 of the respondents used a compact camera, and
>  only two carried an SLR.

My daughter isn't Japanese, but this might be revealing, as she IS in high
school.  Some might recall I bought her an OM-G last spring, based on her
successful completion of a photography course at school and a professed
interest in the craft.  I saw her for a week a few weeks ago and she was going
to show me her B&W's, but apparently she never got to it.  She brought her
camera and two lenses, but never took a picture.  She saw some Zuikos I had
with me and like checking the view they produced, but didn't seem to want to
take a picture with the lenses.  BUT, when I pulled out my Leica point and
shoot, her eyes lite up and she said "That is what I need!"  Hum...  I asked
her before buying what type of camera she wanted.  I guess maybe she didn't
really know, or the manual only discipline the photography course foced on the
students wasn't something that "took."

Am I going to fix my 35-70 f/4 to give as a follow up?  One guess only.

OTOH [on the other hand], my 12 year old son is a fellow technophile and is
downright intrigued by the technical workings of cameras.  Some will recall me
saying that he delighted in getting some good shots on Santa Barbara's Stearns
Wharf.  But it wasn't enough to get him hooked.  I wised up.  But, something
tells me my son would take ownership if I gave him a broken camera and he
fixed it.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV