Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:24:16 -0700
>Paul D. Farrar wrote:
>
>> I would guess that it will be the LCDs that will kill the 3s and 4s.
>>Electronics
>> can last a very long time, but LCDs often die after 10yrs or so. The 1s
>>and 2s
>> (except 2S) will probably be going after all the later models are dead.
>>Don't
>> get rid of that 2N yet!
>
>How about the cameras with LED displays? LED normally last very long, but
>why would
>LCD not? Just curious.
>
>--
>Regards/
>  Ingemar Uvhagen
>  Gislaved, Sweden

I have read that long exposure to heat will kill LCDs more quickly. I
understand that about 5 years ago replacing Nikon LCDs became a brisk
business. I have not heard since whether technological advances have
improved the lifetime of LCDs.  I would think so.

I am curious whether the 10 years is related active use, or just
decomposition with age whether activated or not. Would it more predictive
to relate the lifetime to number of rolls run through the camera, or just
the year you bought the camera?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California