Re: [OM] FS: OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 MC Zuiko Lens **NEW** on eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 MC Zuiko Lens **NEW** on eBay
From: Robert Bund <rbund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:40:46 -0400
Frank van Lindert wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:12:51 -0800, Gary Schloss
> <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >To be fair to Robert, I remember him offering this lens for sale to
> >the OLY list members at least twice in the last few months.  I'm
> >sure his posts re: this subject are in the list archives.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >

> >/Gary Schloss.
> >Studio City, CA
> >schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I agree wit this, but it IMHO it doesn't at all justify Robert's way
> of selling. What makes things worse is, that at the same time the
> auction of this lens went running he has also advertised it for sale
> in rec.photo.marketplace (without mentioning eBay) for $795...
>
> I posted a follow-up message in this newsgroup, warning potential
> bidders.
>
> Later he made a new posting there, without apologies, without pointing
> to the earlier one, but indeed mentioning the eBay auction. The older
> posting was not canceled, though....
>
> I can imagine that Robert must be desperate after all fruitless
> efforts to sell his beatiful lens, but trying to sell directly and by
> auction at the same time is definetly not the right way of doing it.
>
> Frank van Lindert
> Utrecht Netherlands.

Hi Frank,

First of all, I am not trying to sell directly AND by auction at the
same time.  I am contractually obligated to sell the lens via eBay if
the reserve is met.  I think you know that. After there was no response
to a direct offer on the Newsgroup, and after 8 months without
consummating a sale on the Olympus List, I simply decided to try my luck
at eBay.  I'm not quite sure why even the mention of the word "eBay"
ruffles so many feathers - perhaps it's a control issue, or maybe eBay
tends to be a more efficient marketplace and people don't like that - I
really don't know.

In my humble opinion, we've come to the point where we're splitting
hairs on this thing.  We've established that I offered the Olympus List
this lens at various points in time over at least 8 months, not 8 days,
not 8 weeks but 8 months!  If that doesn't represent the "good form"
that Shawn was alluding to, I'm not sure I know what length of time
might.

We've covered the ad copywriting and I've implicitly acknowledged that
it might have been a little hyped - but I do maintain that the
quantitative claims were accurate and that many of the qualitative
claims actually originated with other list members.

We've covered the issue of my bona fides and the record of an actual
visit to my home by a list member (back in February) was documented, as
was his general "stamp of approval".

Now, you want to make an issue of the fact that when I changed the
status of the offer of sale from Newsgroup offering at a price to
offering at auction, I neglected to cancel the form of the first offer.
Interestingly, you do point out that when the decision to go to auction
was made, I made the announcement of the offering "on eBay" in the very
same venue (rec.photo.marketplace) that you seem to think needs your
protection and warning - protection from what, I would ask?  So,
therefore, the entire complaint now stems from the fact that I did not
provide the readers at rec.photo.marketplace enough time to react to the
initial offer before changing its form.  Well, I'm glad to see you're
feeling so protective of their interests - but are you really protecting
their interests?  I think not: As you said, I offered them the lens at
$795.  While I'm not in the mood to divulge the reserve price for the
lens at eBay, I will tell you that it is substantially below the $795
price you mentioned.  So...is there really a disservice being done here?
I would argue - definitely not!  The readers of rec.photo.marketplace as
well as the Olympus List members now have the opportunity to buy this
lens (if they so choose) at a reduced price.  What could be wrong with
that?

Well, now that I've vented just a little, I should mention that I don't
really take what you say personally, nor do I harbor any ill will.  To
the contrary, I'm quite happy ro read what you have to say in this forum
- it's often instructive and interesting.

Regards,
-Bob-