Re: [OM] FS: OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 MC Zuiko Lens **NEW** on eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 MC Zuiko Lens **NEW** on eBay
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:33:56 EDT
Hi Windsor:

<< I am sorry, but to me, this is SPAM. >>

Yup, sure looks that way to me, too.  Thus an opportunity for heckling the
eBay type hype, perhaps?  Don't we see the wildest claims sometimes?

> >OLYMPUS 18mmF3.5 ZUIKO MC Lens **NEW**
>  >This Lens has NEVER BEEN USED!
>  >It was purchased quite a long time ago.

Nothing is ever new on the used market, especially something purchased "along
time ago."  Try "Like New" or "Mint."

>  >It has just been completely checked over.

By whom?  What for if it's never been used?

>  >The design for this 18mm Zuiko has become legendary

It is????  It isn't all the great versus the competition from my perspective.
Some have even said it's overpriced, esp. vs. the 20 and 17 mm Canon FD
lenses.  And they have Close Focus Aberration Correction, too.  Both are
available in the $300 to 400 range.

>  >The normal cost on one of these lenses is over $1200 but the reserve is
>  >set at hundreds less.

Hum, hundreds less puts it in the ballpark of "grey market new."  Many
hundreds less puts it in the ballpark of the $350 it cost in 1987 (= many
years ago).  Simply adjusted for inflation, a mint example should be selling
for $529.  I've seen 9 condition ones go recently for $488 (great sale) and
$638, with recent asking prices ranging from $599 to $700US.

>  >I HAVE PLENTY OF GLOWING REFERENCES.

I do wish you the best of luck, never-the-less.  Hopefully it will get used by
a photographer and not just get added to a dealer inventory.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV