Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:27:53 +0200
SiteMistic@xxxxxxx wrote:
[...]
>   I noticed, though, that the more sophisticated the equipment I was
> using became, the less satisfied I was with the photos I was producing. It
> became so easy to produce technically good photos that the psychological value
> I placed on each image dropped. [...]

Funny, I had the same experience when changing to OM-2 (from Rollei TLR): the
amount of exposures rose dramatically and most of them were technically at least
acceptable. But the percentage of those that give me the feeling, they were the
best I could do in the given situation has dropped. Still, I like this SLR
system for it's vast versatility but I don't think my photography in general
would improve by using an even more automated system than the OM. I don't want
to know, what amount of film I'd consume in a 'wonderbrick' with built-in
winder; certainly the percentage of 'keepers' would drop even more.

*- DORIS FANG -* wrote:
> [...] The reality is, some cameras & lenses simply produce
> more images that we treasure than others. It may be ergonomics, optics,
> who cares ? As long as it aids and abets our vision, that's what matters.
[...]

For me, time is probably the most important single factor. I guess I like my TLR
photos better, because I need an aweful lot of time to do them (finding exactly
the right perspective/distance etc. with your camera _and_ with your head). The
lesson I'm trying to learn at the moment is: don't expose faster, than you can
think (as I'm a slow thinker, this of course precludes certain types of subjects
;-)

Cheers, Soenke