Re: [OM] Airport detectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport detectors
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:16:13 -0400
Since I just got back from Scotland, I enjoyed reading the experiences of many
on the list with respect to airport security.

Before I had left, I called the BWI security to find out what kind of x-ray
machines are in operation there and whether I could get my film hand-inspected.
I was able to get my films hand-inspected when I told them that I had high speed
films (Provia 1600).  They did give an additional check on my backpack, however,
with another machine, but they did not open up my backpack at all.  This was the
first time my backpack got another check, but come to think of it, earlier this
year they did pass my backpack twice through the machine when I was carrying a
laptop and an OM2000 with two lenses.

This time my backpack contained an OM-4T, an OM2000, 35-70mm/3.5-4.5, 85mm/2,
28mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8 shift, 70-210mm/4.5-5.6, and a Kenko teleconverter.
I put my F280 in the checked luggage.  I carried a tripod (Magic 2), but it was
exposed as it was put in a side pocket of the backpack.

I had six rolls of film processed while in Edinburgh.  I found a professional
color lab through a Jessop there.  However, I had a total of 31 unprocessed
film, about nine of which were unused when I was leaving Scotland.   I
considered mailing my film, but I took a chance and decided to carry with me.  I
found out either way I would have gotten my film X-rayed.

I did ask for hand-inspection at the Glasgow Airport, but was refused.  Since I
was there very early for my flight, I had time to argue with a security official
there.  He said that they do have a CTX machine for the checked luggage and that
the X-ray machine for the carry-on is safe up to 3200.   He even pulled out an
illustration of how safe/unsafe X-ray is on the film.  Even though casual
inspection does not show any difference after 20  X-ray exposures, closer
inspection reveals softer edges.   According to him, the CTX machine destroy the
film not because of its dosage, but because of the way the machine works.
Apparently it scans like a CAT scan and forms an image of an object, which is
detrimental to the film.  He also said that the UK government does not allow the
security personnel to do the hand inspection of the film and that in the UK, the
mails are also X-rayed.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx