Re: [OM] Airport detectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport detectors
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:48:29 -0700
Laptops in particular, and electronic devices of any kind in general, have
been items of great interest by airport security folks since the Gulf war.
I stopped using an electric razor because it was so much aggrevation to pull
it out and show security it wasn't something other than what it was.

I recently went through DFW airport where the FAA was conducting trials with
a new method of detecting explosives in laptop PC's.  The security officer
wiped the PC case with a small circular pad, not at all unlike facial
cleansing pads, then placed the pad inside a small machine.  According to
the officer, this machine could detect residue in the part per billion
range.  Pretty sensitive sniffer.  But I didn't have to turn the unit on to
demonstrate it really worked, it was residue-free according to the machine.
He let me pass.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.