Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:44:15 -0400

>I sent a guy a check for an OM-4T last week. He sent me email saying
>it would "go right out." I'm still waiting. Maybe he sent it by camel.
>Maybe he had an accident while driving to the post office. Maybe, maybe,
>maybe... Doubt and uncertainty also has a value, albeit more difficult
>to quantify than risk.

Relax, man! (you are a male, right? if not -- my sincere apologies)
The seller may be waiting for your check to clear, or he may have sent
the package UPS ground, or ...  I mean, there is no reason to go into
a cardiac arrest for a few lousy bucks, right?  Just kidding!! :-)

Btw, did you get the guy's address AND phone number?  Did you pay with
secure funds?  Were you given a decent tryout period, and MBG in case
of problems?  Do you have all your communication on the subject in
writing?  If your answers to the above are positive, then you have
little to worry about.

A propos paying with a personal check, when I sell to people on the
net (many of whom are on this list, so pls feel free to support me
here :-)), I often agree to accept personal checks as a payment --
just to show the buyers who after all prepay for the merchandise that
I am prepared to carry at least some of the risk involved in an over
the net transaction.  Usually, I don't wait for a check to clear, and
for customers from this list I've often gone well beyond that.>>

Consider yourself supported!

Before I complete any transaction, I always want to know how the seller
will ship it. In fact, I pretty much demand that he ship UPS, Fed-X,
Airborne, or similar. This way, you can not only request the date of
shipment, but also a tracking #. All these guys have websites, so you can
trace the shipments. A lot of guys like to ship USPS, but I HATE that,
simply because it's not trackable. Sure, if it gets lost, someone will get
their money back, but not for a while, and not without a lot of suspicion.
Nothing like the pickup scan to make everyone realize no games are being
played, even if the package is subsequently lost!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com