Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 20:35:48 -0700
>Denton Taylor wrote:
>Before I complete any transaction, I always want to know how the seller
>will ship it. In fact, I pretty much demand that he ship UPS, Fed-X,
Airborne

I agree that commercial carriers are easier to track than USPS (this doesn't
apply to USPS Express overnight mail. It also has a trackable number on the
USPS website). However, most of the packages I've received from net sales by
individuals have been shipped Priority 3 day mail. So far I've been lucky.
UPS and FedEx, usually used by commercial sellers, have on occasion messed
up. The worst being a UPS 2nd day air from South Carolina to California
taking two weeks. And yes, I got the shipping charges reimbursed. Small
consolation.

I believe that the reason that most private sellers do not like to use
common carrier is the added expense. They are usually more expensive than
USPS, and the real biggie can be either taking the package to the UPS or
FedEx counter or paying an additional $5 pick up fee. In my case, it's
fifteen miles to the nearest UPS counter through heavy traffic or one mile
to the nearest post office. Buyers are not usually agreeable to paying the
added expense for shipping. If you are working at a business that has daily
UPS pickup, the situation becomes entirely different.

Regards,
John Austin