[OM] B&H and reputability...

Subject: [OM] B&H and reputability...
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:24:17 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Here's a hard to find toy -- hot from the newsgroups...

>>For sale: Olympus Zuiko 90mmF2 Macro lens for OM systems. Brand new
>>in box. Mail order prices range from $700-$800. My price: $600
priority
>>mail and insured.

>The latest B&H used sheet <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/used/0935mm2.pdf>
>has one of these in 9 condition for $575. The difference between B&H's
>"9"
>and what someone on the Internet calls "brand new in box" is probably a
>crap shoot.
>
>According to Peterson's Photographic used buyer's guide, you should
>expect
>to pay 25% to 35 0.000000e+00ss to an individual than to a dealer -- and B&H is
>about as reputable as they come.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While I have NEVER had a problem with buying a new item from B&H, I find
their idea of Condition 8 to be laughable.  I bought a used
intervalometer from them that they had advertised *several times* with
the condition rating for the same item changing from 8 to 10 and back to
8 again.  The price changed with condition, but in a wierd way.
Sometimes it was cheaper when it was rated "10" than when it was rated
"8".  I happened to buy it when it was an expensive 8, thinking they had
had multiple ones, but in fact they had only had one.  When I got it, it
had bad battery corrosion, and I had to repair the leads to the battery
compartment.  Also, it was very scratched.  Why didn't I just send it
back?  I needed it at the time and didn't have time to.  It was just
easier for me to fix it.  On top of all this, they continued to
advertise this thing for at least 4 months after they had sold it to me!
This is nothing new... I have called about various items they
"advertise" such as filter sets for the T32, and they never have them,
even though they seem to be advertised in every ad.

As I said, I have never had a problem with their new department, they
are a joy to deal with.  However, compared to KEH, their used department
leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,
--Lee