Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:12:30 -0700
Richard;

I think it depends only on how much tele-power you want/need.  I am in
the process of selling a 250/2 and buyung a 350/2.8.  The ONLY reason
I'm doing this is to get a bit more power on the long end.  The 250 was
a superb lens, as I'm sure the 350 will be and the 180 probably is as
well.  For comparison, go to:

http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt

and compare the results for the 180/2 to those for the 180/2.8.

I regularly used the 250 with the 1.4 and results were superb.  In fact,
results were still excellent with BOTH the 1.4x AND the 2x attached,
giving a 700/5.6 combo.

I have a 300/4.5 and it is a great lens, but it's definitely not up to
the capabilities of the 250/2. You can see the difference. Better be
able to, for the price difference.  Even in focussing, think of 2 1/3
stops faster, and the focusser is feather light, whereas the 300/4.5
focussing takes a bit of force to move the ring.

george

Richard Dale wrote:

> For a fast zuiko telephoto what would members of the list recommend:
> 180 F2,
> 250 f2
> or 350 f2.8
> with or without 1.4 converter. Does that degrade performance noticeably, eg
> 180 + 1.4 compared with 250.
> I could only afford one, once my finances have settled down from the last
> batch of purchases.
> I would like to use it for motor racing/nature photography etc.
> I'm not sure if the 2nd hand prices are similar, dependent on condition
> etc.
> Is it worth splashing out or are the 180 f2.8 or 300 f4.5 nearly as good in
> practice.
> Thanks
> Richard

george  :>)