Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:02:21 GMT
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:54:32 -0700, "Shawn Wright"
<swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thanks - I've asked her, and she would prefer a fully auto everything
>like the Stylus. But I hesitate for a few reasons:
>
>1. I'd like her to learn more about photography, and hope the XA
>might help her by requiring *little* bit of thought and understanding.
>2. She has managed some successful shots with my OM-10 with
>or without flash, but focussing is always the big problem. I'm
>hoping the rangefinder focus of the XA will be easier. Or maybe the
>zone focus of the XA2 would be better?
>3. I'd like to have one for a take everywhere camera.
>
>I know a high end AF P&S with manual override would make us
>both happy, but we can't afford that right now.
>

>Shawn & Janis Wright

Hi Shawn.

If focusing with an OM-10 is a big problem for Janis, you should buy
her an AF camera indeed.
The rangefinder focus of the XA is NOT easier than that of the OM-10,
and de XA2 doesn't give you a visible clue about anything...

I bought my wife a Mju-2 (rest-of-the-world name for Epic) for about
$110. This is even cheaper than an XA + flash would cost....

The Epic has a superb little lens (I gues even wlightly better than
its ancestor, the XA), and is all-weather usable as well.

After using it yourself from time to time you might even forget about
your own wish for an XA.
I must to admit that I bought another Epic after some months for my
own use, my wife being bored of my borrowing hers so often on rainy
days...

Frank.