Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 13:05:55 -0500
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 09:58:48 -0700 "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
>I am considering an XA, or possibly other Olympus compact
>camera for my wife to use.
>
>I've read through the XA FAQ, but am wondering what are some
>opinions on which models to look for, and any to avoid?
>It seems the XA-1,2,3 use the same lens, and the only the XA has
>the fast 2.8 lens. What about exposure, it sounds like the XA-1~4
>are program auto. Is there a manual override? What about the XA?

The original XA (preferably with the A16 flash) is by far the best. With
it's rangefinder focusing, aperture preferred automatic exposure,
exposure compensation, self timer, and a great little lens it is a
thinking person's pocket camera.  The rest of the XA's (1-4) are Ok, but
nothing special.  On the other hand, if you just want a true PHD camera,
you might be better advised to go with one of the newer stylus models
rather than the others in the  XA series (1-4).  There is no manual
override on any of them, XA or otherwise.  However, as you learn to use
it, i.e. play with the aperture setting, the ASA setting, and the
exposure compensation lever, the original XA gives you a lot of control.

Daryl Hurley