Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:42:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Shawn Wright wrote:

> I've read through the XA FAQ, but am wondering what are some
> opinions on which models to look for, and any to avoid?

  The earliest ones are my favorites (I have two). Their shutter release
is the finest of the bunch. The latter XAs have a good & serviceable
shutter release, but not as good as the first.

> It seems the XA-1,2,3 use the same lens, and the only the XA has
> the fast 2.8 lens. What about exposure, it sounds like the XA-1~4
> are program auto.

  It is aperture preferred. You can change the ISO setting and there's a
1.5+ f/stop backlight button. You set the f/stop, it sets the speed. On
the XA2 the lens has a preset f/stop (f/8?), you have no options. The lens
on the XA2 also has three focus zones. It sounds very primitive, and I
suppose it is, but my XA2 (bought for $5) is a nice little machine. The
lens is sharp and likeable, too. Mine has survived camping, canoeing and
some mt. bike trail riding (though my Stylus has taken the brunt of that
abuse!)

> The local shop has an XA2 with A11 flash for $75 CDN. Is this a
> reasonable deal? Is the 35/3.5 lens comparable to the 2.8 in
> sharpness/contrast?

  It is a reasonable deal. The XA lens is sharper than the XA2's and some
of that must be due to the zone focus, but the XA2 lens is good.
If you get her the XA, you'll be er..."borrowing" it often...

                                     *= Doris Fang =*