Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:26:08 -0500

Then at 04:53 PM 8/16/1998 -0400, Jim you wrote:

>Hi Shawn,
>
>I'm a typical OM user on the reflector.  Many OM bodies and way too many
>lenses with a fond respect for the 35mm focal length primes.  An XA was the
>family's Father's Day gift and what a suprise.  A magnificent lens and lots
>of flexibility that is not immediately obvious.  Over and under exposure
>can be forced by resetting the film speed selector and flash can be used
>with any aperture from f2.8-22.
>
>XA lens sharpness from f5.6-16 is legendary, and picture after picture,
>better than my current new Stylus.  If you think your wife will appreciate
>the flexibility, not mind manual focus and manual film advance, then the XA
>will serve well.  If her effort is better served 'focusing' on the scene,
>the newer P&S offerings might make her happier.

Hi Shawn (and Jim),

I have an XA and a Stylus Zoom 35-70. Not to disagree with Jim's last
point, but my wife has LOTS of trouble focusing with the Stylus Zoom,
mainly because she doesn't pinpoint the focus on a critical point in the
composition. The worst situations are two people, side-by-side. The plants
way in the background end up perfectly focused while the main subjects are
out of focus.  Often as I gently remind her how to lock focus (and she is
really quite a good photographer in other respects -- in a snapshot kind of
way), this is her fatal dilemma. The telephoto settings of course make the
problem even worse.

The XA forces the discipline that gets the critical focus. Now how you will
ever make this practical argument persuasive is another matter.

Your wife may vary.

Joel