Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:06:13 -0400
>Joel Wrote:
>I have an XA and a Stylus Zoom 35-70. Not to disagree with Jim's last
>point, but my wife has LOTS of trouble focusing with the Stylus Zoom,
>mainly because she doesn't pinpoint the focus on a critical point in the
...SNIP....
>The XA forces the discipline that gets the critical focus. Now how you will
>ever make this practical argument persuasive is another matter.
>
>Your wife may vary.
>Joel

   Excellent point.  Under sunny conditions where the aperture is f11 or
above, depth of field is so great that I leave the focus set slightly over
8 feet and just shoot....never even consider focusing if the object of the
scene is over 8 feet away.  This works so well in action situations when
the camera can be against your chest and you just watch the action for that
prime moment.  When it happens just press the button.  Feeding time at the
zoo is a classic example.

   Most of the time, probably 80%+, I use the distance markings in the
window after estimating the objects location and fire away if over f4.
It's the only way to go when taking shots where you shouldn't.  It did take
a while to develop confidence in doing this but it paid off.     Someone
say candid?

Jim