Re: [OM] Scan it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Scan it?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:14:58 -0700
The difference is realy quite remarkable in favor of the higher resolution
film scanner.  I recently saw an example of a photo scanned on a flatbed and
the same photo as scanned from the original negative.  The image of the
scanned photo was good but (you just *knew* there was a  "but" coming) the
contrast was a little flat and the image wasn't razor sharp.  The image from
the scan of the negative was noticably sharper but the most striking
difference was the vast increase in the tonal range. It was impressive.

The other observation I'd offer is carefully review the scanner software.
Some scanners do a fair amount of "pre-scan" evaluation of the image and
make all sorts of "adjustments" before performing the actual scan.  My HP
unit does this.  The good news is, at least with my unit, it makes some
pretty good guesses on my behalf.

You will get much more satisfying results is you scan the film at high
(>1200) res, then print on a good printer at >=300 dpi at A4 size or
smaller.

John P
______________________________________
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Ian M. Stewart <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, in preparation for forging ahead into
the digital age inquired:

I am now buying a Lexmark 5700 printer supposedly capable of 1200 dpi
and photo-real printing with black/pale-cyan/pale-magenta in addition
to the CMY cartridge.  Do I *have* to buy a 250 ukp slide scanner, or
can a 70 ukp A4 scanner be pressed into service?  Understand, I am
not looking for professional results, or even top class amateur -
just something to print up at 6 x 4 with *me* controlling the image!