Re: [OM] Velvia speed?

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia speed?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 02:57:13 EDT

<< Yet I've seen
 mention in several discussions, magazines, etc that it is often shot at ISO
40
 or even 32, which seems to go against wisdom that slide film should not be
 overexposed. Is there something special about Velvia as opposed to regular
 slide film? >>

I shoot Velvia with the ultimate goal of printing onto Ilfochrome.  Both are
quite contrasty so the combination of the two causes one to lose lots of
shadow detail with the result that sometimes there are large areas of
unrecognizable shadow in the picture.  So, with the trade-off being blown out
highlights, I opt for some shadow detail instead and shoot Velvia at ISO 40
and even 32 if there are no glaring highlights in the scene. Also certain reds
and oranges are almost too saturated and slight overexposure will help fix
this.

Warren Kato
wkato@xxxxxxx