Re: [OM] OM4Ti meter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti meter
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:31:30 +0800
----------
> From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti meter
> Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 9:22 PM
>
> Auto otf has  never been truly linear (in any camera) , that is at
different
> light values the actual otf will be +- a certain amount.  Compare it to
the
> equivalent exposure in manual and the difference can be 1/2 stop.  Throw
in
> film reflectance and results can be unpredictable.
>
> John
> Camtech

If it is a film reflectance problem, then most of today's films are having
a reflective index lower than the old days when OM started the OTF design.
I cannot find any film that give me same values in auto and manual mode (at
least 2/3 stops different). But when the shutter speed is above 1/60, where
auto exposure read the shutter curtain's reflection instead of film, the
values of both auto and manual are exactly the same.

I shot 950f negative so I didn't found out this problem before. But I
always under estimate the speed and got un-sharp shot when I expect I can
hand hold the camera at 1/8s (the 4Ti's meter told me) but eventually it
exposed at 1/4s.

I saw some people said they also observed this but "the exposures have
always been spot-on". I think they can try to shot in both auto and manual
mode for the same scene then they will know what happen. If they got the
same result then this problem may be happen on some production batch of
OM4Ti only and I am the unlucky one.

C.H.Ling