Re: FW: FW: [OM] Now I remember why... (somewhat wedding equipment off

Subject: Re: FW: FW: [OM] Now I remember why... (somewhat wedding equipment off topic - long)
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:20:44 -0400
*- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
and
KRIS GARREN wrote:
and a buncha other folks have written too......

>> Thank you all your feedback this is great information!  I guess I should
>> mention my desired specialty: Portrait, mostly children.  I've got some
>> very unusual or unconventional ideas for a business that I would like
>> to start someday.  I keep thinking that for small children who are always
>> on the move, a 35mm would give more versatility.  Do you know if any
>> MF with that kind of versatility: easy/clear focusing, portable, very
>> durable?  What about a good 35mm for this type of studio/outdoors work?
>
>  One thing I would look for shooting kids in a MF would be a waist-level
>finder (interchangeable, with a prism finder, too). You could start for
very
> little money with a used Rolleiflex. For real money, a 'Blad, RB/RZ67
>would also work and provide you with utterly reliable service (though you
> should acquire a back-up body ASAP). The "handlers" in the MF world,
>IMHO, are: The Pentax 645 (no leaf shutter), Bronica ETR and all the
>"field" cameras, like the Rolleiflexes, Mamiya 6 & 7, the Fujica GW and
>the GA series as well. For outdoors work, the ability to synch at 1/500th
>is invaluable. A normal lens and a slight tele ought to do it.
<........etc, etc, etc..........>

Its been interesting watching this thread unravel, OT as it may be, its
quite good fun.  Once again Doris hits the nail squarely on the head in
highlighting waist-level finder MF cameras for wiggly subjects such as kids.
I have two Rolleis I keep because I can't bring myself to trade them for Oly
stuff, and they outperform my Mamiya M645 hands down when it comes to nimble
handling and fill flash subjects.  The Rollei is remarkably light weight for
its apparent volume, the big 6cm square negative is almost magic.  It is
limited some by the fixed lens, but that constraint makes the photographer
work a little more, that's all.  If interchangable lenses are a necessity,
the Mamiya C330 TLR is an excellent piece.

OM content - the Rollei was the camera of choice to photograph my Olympus
collection.

John P