Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:24:05 +0000
Hello Ingemar

Yes, the multispot metering, and for me, the 2-4 focusing screen.
TTL flash ability is also nice to have on occasion.  I have never had
any need for winders or motordrives.

My brother had an OM10 which operated flawlessly for many years and
was still going strong when sold.  A very reliable and capable
machine.

I used it on a number of occasions and the only criticism I had was
the dimness of the viewfinder.  I have poor eyesight so I found it
difficult to focus with any lens slower than about f4.

It should be possible to take 850f the photos you could get with a
4Ti using an OM10.

I used to have a Nikon FG and one lens - a Kiron 30-80
f4/4.5varifocal.  A very nice set up that served me well for many
years.  I decided I wanted to get a bit more serious with my
photography and bought a 4Ti and several prime lenses.  The multispot
metering system has taught me a great deal about exposure and has
allowed ME to improve my photography a lot.  As a result I believe I
could now take better photographs with an OM10 than I used to.

Recently I upgraded my focusing screen to a 2-4.  It has made a big
difference to MY abillity to focus accuately - especially in low
light.  A person with good eyesight might not notice much of an
improvement other than an increase in brightness.  It has also
enhanced the enjoyment of composing an image in the viewfinder as the
image is much closer to the final result.

The important thing to remember is that the things that make a big
difference to me might not be as important, or have the same effect
with you.  If your OM10 gives you good results then you should not
worry that it is inferior to what someone else might have because it
is the results that matter, not what you used to obtain them.

My 4Ti is no Nikon F5 but I do not envy those who have one as I am
happy with the results I can achieve with what I have.

Happy shooting

Giles Stewart