Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 09:03:35 +0200

John Hermanson skrev:

> I suggest to most people with 10s and Gs (these bodies are related and
> share problems) not to store these cameras (or any cameras) with the shutter
> wound.  Once the magnet gets oily though, this doesn't help much.
> There's a second electromagnet that gets oily and when that happens the
> mirror locks halfway up (and is harder to fix.)
>
> Also, the main shutter gears are plastic.  Occasionally the main cocking
> tooth (that is pushed to wind the curtains) breaks off or looses its edge,
> so the mating gear stud slips over it. .  This requires the most stripping
> down of any 10 repair.

If I want to be on "the safe side", should I sell my OM-10 and get another more
reliable OM? (Or just get another OM.)Is it worth let some one check my camera
every third (?) year instead of buy another camera? The thing is that I am not a
heavy user, I shoot in periods and when I see something to picture, so get
another OM (one digit OM) feels a bit unnecessary.

Any one, any advise?

Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen
  Gislaved, Sweden