Re: [OM] Slides on the cheap - a beginners guide

Subject: Re: [OM] Slides on the cheap - a beginners guide
From: Richard Sch?tzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 16:33:56 +0200
Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom) wrote:

> I've been putting off using slides till now because I figured you'd have
> to be mega-rich to support an OM habit annnd shoot slides at the same
> time.

Hmm, quite the oposite, slides are the cheapest way to photograph (with
B&W)

> After all a decent loupe, light box, slide projector, screen,
> slide copier (I've got the bellows attachment)

You buy it once, calculate how much 36 enlargments cost you (not to
speak from the problem to get decent ones). Do you realy need an slide
copier?

> and cibachrome processing
> aint cheap right?

Do you want to make prints or slides? For prints it´s cheaper and much
more hasselfree to use negativ film.

> Wrong, here is my beginner's recipe for doing slides on the cheap -

You´d corrected yourself, bravo!

> I'm considering buying a bulk roll (30M) of Konica
> Chrome R-100 which my lab is selling at a discount price $44.00.

Thats realy cheap, consider from 30m you get 18 36exposure films, but
you should not forget the price for the film cartridge. You might get
problems to find a lab which will process your "do it yourself" E-6
film.
Sometimes you get a better deal, if you buy

> d) Specify "Develop only"  when submitting your film for processing and
> mount the slides yourself -

This will avoid slides cut in two halfs, for example in slides with
large dark areas (night shoots). The automatic filmcutter looks for the
small black divider, if they are to big, the cutter wil get out of sync.

> I believe that there are slide mounting kits
> you can buy, but unless you are mounting heaps of slides, I reckon a
> pair of sharp, round ended scissors and a box of VIP discount plastic
> slide mounts are all that you need.

Buy an good slidecutter, with sicssors it´s dificult to get a straight
cut and the danger of damaging is to big (I use the Kaiser slide cuter).

> g) Keep an eye out for a used manual slide projector - my wife managed
> to pick up a working manual slide projector for $5.00 ( $3.00 US)

Dirty cheap...

> I'm
> projecting on to our living room wall which is painted a creamy white
> for now.

A wall is ok, but avoid wallpaper and use dull plain white paint.

You might consider to buy an wide angle projection lens (60mm). You
could cover the projection space, at the day, with an framed picture.

> h) Buy lots of rope or duct tape to guarantee a captive audience,

Just lock the door. ;-)

> i) Get the Oly slide copier attachment to bellows...................er
> anyone who knows how to use this confounded contraption,  I mean this
> intrigueing tool please drop me a line.

You dont need an belows to copy slides. There is an attachment, sold by
Hama, which screws into the filterthread of 50-100mm macrolenses,
without any optics, which alows to mount the slides in the right
distance in front of the lens.

Richard